Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Wolves in the Walls

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman

While thinking about Halloweenish books for Storytime, or maybe just a drop-in storytelling session, I remembered Neil Gaiman has written a few children's books. I decided to check them out and found The Wolves in the Walls. The title and the cover art told me The Wolves in the Walls would be a good book. Well, after reading it, I can say I did really like it, but I do not know what age to recommend it for. I would say parents should read it first and see if they think their kids could handle it. I would not recommend it for younger than elementary school. Too scary even with the almost "happy" ending. 

The main character, Lucy hears noises in the walls she believes to be wolves, but no one believes her. Finally, the truth is revealed, and the family runs out of the house until they decide to take it back. Although Lucy is frightened, she conquers her fears. I think the illustrations (which I LOVE) are scarier than even the story. I will be reading it as a "let's have fun getting scared" family bedtime book, but not at Storytime.

No comments: