Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Monster Calls

Okay, this is a good book. It is emotional...sad. I would say, not a book for elementary students because of its intensity. There are discussion questions in the back, if needed for book groups.Well written, and engaging (pulled an all-nighter because I wanted to know what happens). I saw some reviews that said it was a darkly funny book. I did not see more than one possible humorous moment and I am pretty good at picking up sarcasm and irony. I would say it is a book about a boy struggling to deal with his mom's illness. He has nightmares, a grandma he doesn't connect with, bullying at school, and a dad in another country. It's a lot to handle, but then on top of everything else, the monster arrives.

Here's a cool book trailer for it: 



No comments: