Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Read, Reread, or not to Read?


 James Patterson is the very definition of prolific. You can find stats about his 19 consecutive bestsellers, nearly 100 books over the past 4 decades, books in multiple categories, etc, etc. Why did he have to "steal" an idea from one of his own books? Or is he a marketing genius?

The only reason I care is because I read his adult book When the Wind Blows and the sequel The Lake House. Both are quick, easy, entertaining reads. Both are about kids genetically altered with wings and a character named Max. Although, the main characters were 2 adults investigating the situation. I was intrigued by the plot well enough to want to see what else may happen, then BAM!!! No more books in the series. Instead, a "new" YA series Maximum Ride about genetically altered kids with wings and a character named Max. Patterson himself says the second series is just inspired by the first and not a continuation or duplicate of the first. But come on...

Then, I discovered there is a third choice: a Maximum Ride graphic novel. It caught my attention while looking for Anime or Manga to read. So now my dilemma, will I be wasting my time or will it be an exciting adventure? For me, there are just too many other authors, genres, and themes to explore to reread a story, even one you like. However, being a fairly newbie to graphic novels, maybe a known story is a good bet? I've decided to give the graphic novel a try on my ongoing quest for better appreciation of the format. Okay, Mr. Patterson, you got me!

No comments: