Saturday, November 21, 2015

Blast-Off! Fun! And a little science too.

This program was a fun Saturday morning. I took over for someone who was no longer at the library, but added my own programming expertise to the line-up. We did the regular station structure I'm familiar with and although not a STEAM program, I couldn't help myself and added a couple science related activities to the mix.

First up, I read the book Mousetronaut by Mark Kelly. And as it states, it's based on a (partially) true story. Some of the truths are listed in the afterwards and there are also internet sources for more info.
The kids actually clapped with enthusiasm for the story at the end. A big thank you to my co-worker who recommended the book.
Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story (Paula Wiseman Books): Mark Kelly,C. F. Payne: 9781442458246: Amazon.com: Books:

Second, making mini rocket launchers (already on the agenda, but something I recently did for another STEAM program on force and motion, so I knew it would be a hit). 
Paper Mini-Rockets: Build a pocket-sized rocket launcher (and rocket) using a straw and a small piece of paper!:
Third, the screaming (orbiting) penny trick in a balloon. I've previously posted about this.

Fourth, the game stations included names such as Ring Around Saturn (hula hoops and beach ball), Moon Rock Toss (tin foil wrapped candies in planet labelled buckets), Alien Blast (knock down the stacked cups covering a silly looking alien), and Zero Gravity (keep the balloon in the air as long as possible).

Fifth, Rocket Races.
Keep Your Kids Busy On $10 Or Less With These 36 Awesome Summer Activities:

Sixth, snacks included Star Crunches and Capri Suns. Milky Ways and Starbursts were prizes.

Lastly, I made a rocket out of an appliance box by cutting a round hole in the front to look out and a little door on the side to enter. I covered the front with white paper and painted the rocket. It was a big hit. 

Finally, due to my past STEAM programming experience, I provided take home activities for the kids and/or families to continue the education and/or fun at home. This time I provided star gazing activities and a hidden picture. The kids also took home a Space Academy certificate. I was very happy that a number of families checked out the books I had set up around the room (also a habit from previous STEAM programming).

All in all, a great time.

No comments: