Sunday, November 8, 2015

Storytime: Moon

My first ever, completely on my own Storytime is in the books. What fun!The theme was the moon. I choose a couple classic books to read: Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes and Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown with a couple extra books for back-up/check-out options.
  
Before reading we sang our opening song: We Clap and Sing Hello to the tune of Farmer in the Dell and also did a stretching song to get out some energy. In between books we did the fingerplay Zoom, Zoom, Zoom We're Going to the Moon. After searching many CDs for moon songs, I found a song called Circle the Moon (a Ring Around the Rosie type activity) . We sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and before craft-time we caught bubbles from the bubble machine.

I was skeptical about doing a craft in storytime. I've read pros and cons about crafts vs. process art  vs free play vs more stories. All these activities are good and have value, but there is limited time. I inherited this storytime structure but I'm embracing it. I see that craft time is a available time in the storytime lineup. It helps the 2-3 year old crowd with their fine motor skills, listening skills, following directions, connections with the theme/story and is a type of play in itself. Do parents need to help sometimes? Sure, the kids are 2. Kids need to learn things like...this is the white paint, the moon is white, let's make a big white circle just like the moon in the sky, just like in the story. I love having a craft!

Students got to paint their moon with a mixture of white paint and flour.  To complete the moon, they added "craters" using the lid of a water bottle!  So much fun and SO cute!:       Puffy Paint Moon Craft - Learn about space with this fun sensory activity and kids craft.:
Found on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126181544314/(I want to try puffy paint too). White paint mixed with flour, dab it on, stamp with bottle caps, and stick stars on the background. Viola!


No comments: