Thursday, April 23, 2015

No longer a Newbie or Yes! It's right over here.

Once upon a time, I would marvel at the ease and joy with which my experienced co-workers found books for patrons. Being a "Newbie" I wondered if I would ever feel that way, and then it happened!

What a great night! I was able to find every book asked for by patrons. First request: "Do you know where Junie B. Jones is?"  Yes! They're right over here. Let's get it for you.

Later...I could even "guess" the title explained to me by a little young lady. Request: "Do you have that book about a girl with colors?" Hmm...After a couple questions on my part, I asked, Could it be A Bad Case of Stripes? Yes!... Yes! It's right over here. Let's get it for you! I loved seeing her excited, smiling face.

I even answered the ultimate happiest librarian question ever tonight. Request: "Do you have a book I haven't read before?" (How cute!) Answer:Yes! ;) She liked books with facts like Guinness Book of World Records. I took her right there - more happy smiles!

The last request of the evening seemed appropriate: "Can you recommend a classic book for bedtime stories?" (After a short interview, it was determined she wanted to read a juvenile chapter book to siblings at bedtime.)  Various suggestions included: Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, Charlotte's Web, and finally decided on James and the Giant Peach. Yes! It's right over here. Again, success.  Smiles!

There have been many other nights where I fulfilled patron requests successfully, but tonight was the first time I recognized real joy in doing it. Tonight, I'm no longer a "Newbie". (And it only took 2 years!)

No comments: